Disclaimer

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

09 March 2011

Skills.

A note to my friends who went to camp, worked at camp, or knows anyone even remotely connected to camp:  Rejoice!  There is a time and place for your camp skills!

For tech week, we worked in pairs with teachers in different schools surrounding Meteti as they prepared for and began the new school year (keep in mind that Panamanians are just finishing their summer break, so this is like fall for us).  My friend Emma and I worked with Alicia, a teacher in a small multi-grade school who teaches both 3rd and 6th grade in the same classroom at the same time.  We organized to have one day of observation and two days of teaching an hour long English lesson to the kids. 

Now why this sudden appreciation for all things learned at camp?  Since nearly all of my experience with teaching English during training has been with children and teens, I’ve had to tap into my repertoire of songs and games to incorporate into English learning.  So far, the tool box in my head has been one of my best assets.  My favorite moment so far?  A rendition of  “Baby Shark” (if you don’t know it, ask someone, and prepare to have it stuck in your head for 48 hours) to review family words.  I had the class swimming around the classroom with their hands over their heads like sharks and our co-teacher dancing around in the back of the classroom.  Success?  I think so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I should never have read this, now baby shark will be with me ALLLLL day