Disclaimer

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

28 March 2011

Tribute.

I know, I know.  I’ve been bad.  I’ve been here for two and a half months and you’ve still seen no evidence of the place I’ve called home. So before I go on to talk about swear-in, my new home in Macaracas, and everything else, let me take a minute to thank my host community...

Everyone, meet Rio Congo.  Rio Congo, meet everyone.  The family in the photo was my host family while I was in training.  They’re fabulous!  The Vargas-Moreno family took me in as their own daughter from the day I arrived in Rio Congo.  There was hardly any awkwardness, as they’re very understanding of trainees and have been so graceful in navigating our differences of background and beliefs.  We love to sit around and joke, and they have introduced me to the wonders of Panamanian cooking.  A weekend at home consisted of waking up early, going to church, and then spending the day creating things in the kitchen or over a fire in the backyard.  Their little dog, Manchita, likes to snuggle up under my feet wherever I am, which is usually in the hammock reading a book. 

I came in just as their youngest daughter, who is my age, was preparing to leave for Costa Rica.  After she left, I think my presence helped them get through having a missing daughter.  Fransisca and Marco miss her as much as I miss my parents, and it’s been a wonder to have one another to create a family.  I’m going to miss them so much and can’t wait to visit them once I am able to.

The other trainees and I had a goodbye party to thank our host families and the community.  While groups in the past have made more “American” meals like hamburgers and hot dogs, our group opted for the less logistically complicated but equally as satisfying combination of pasta primavera and potato salad.  But pasta with potatoes?, you say, What decathlon did you people sign up for?  Ambitious, I know, but the carb-plus-carb combo is something that we’ve worked hard to embrace, and I feel that this is a sign that we have achieved it.  It is not atypical to see pasta with potatoes here, nor pasta with rice, nor pasta with any kind of root vegetable topping it.  I’ve come to believe that the extra helping of carbohydrates provides much needed energy for little things like climbing the hill to the bus stop, walking to a friends house, or gorging myself on more potato salad.  Not to mention, have you seen the incredible color of the salad?  Leave it to Panama to make even the potato salad into something bright.  That pink stuff you see below is called Ensalada de Feria, and is the Panamanian version of a classic potato salad.  The pink color? Beets plus mayonnaise.  Yet again, please note my attention to health here: I am eating beets.  It’s a good thing I’m including all the rest of that food so that I can process all those vitamins.

So, to the entire community of Rio Congo, for bravely taking in 18 gringos and being patient while we navigated a new place, food, and culture...

1 comment:

Sar-b said...

Awesome to hear from you Chels :) what a great group to call "family" for a few months! Can't believe how fast it is going by! Take care!