Disclaimer

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

19 February 2011

Macaras!!

Not a dance.

Not an instrument.

My home!

This is not your typical “Peace Corps” town.  Macaracas is the cabecera (district capital) of its region, meaning there are main roads that go to it, ample resources, and a decent amount of people (about 9,000, to be exact).  By Peace Corps Panama standards, this is big. There is water.  And electricity.  Possibly internet. According to the information I received, there is ample opportunity for collaboration with teachers and projects that could be set up. 

One of the most exciting parts about it, though, is that I my region is AWESOME.  Los Santos is located in the Azuero peninsula, which if you’re looking at the map of Panama is the peninsula that juts down towards Colombia on the south-west side of the country.  Los Santos, in particular, is THE region for carnaval celebrations, which are coming up very soon.  Aside from their reputation as major rumberos (partiers), the region is also known for its deep respect for traditions, and is also home to some of the biggest folk festivals in Panamá.  There are four other volunteers in my province, and I’m about an hour away from a beach on either side of the peninsula.  The Azuero is also the driest region in Panamá, so my desert upbringing will not go to waste out in my site.  The good news?  Apparently, my town is a bit higher up, close to the mountains in the Herrera province.  Just like home!

On the menu for this week?  On Wednesday, all of the trainees in my group will be heading to Metetí in the Darien province for Tech Week.  We’ll be living in the town and putting to work everything we’ve learned so far in the form of teaching, meeting, and working with teachers that are getting ready for the start of the school year on February 28th.  I’m excited--the Darien has its reputation for awesome scenery, and I hope I get a chance to hike around in some of it between all the training.

No comments: